Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mac'n'Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Yep. You read that right. It was good! Good for you? Well it's wrapped in bacon so yes. We aren't big meatloaf eaters here (Meatloaf fans? Yes of course. If you aren't, leave.) but I saw just a pic of this on Pinterest and had to try it. It's actually fairly simple to make...nothing fancy! I didn't make a side dish, I mean it's stuffed with mac 'n' cheese so I just couldn't bring myself to make mashed potatoes to go with it!

Use your favorite meatloaf recipe. I pulled this one out of a hat. Same goes for your mac'n'cheese. This is how my Grandma makes it and it always be the perfect homemade mac'n'cheese in my mind!



Mac'n'Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

Mac'n'Cheese:
1C elbow shaped noodles
1/4lb Velveeta-cubed
1/4C milk
2T butter

Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain. Stir in the Velveeta, milk and butter. Keep on low and stir occasionally until cheese is completely melted. If it seems to thick add a bit more milk. Remove from heat and set aside.

Meatloaf:
1lb ground beef
1T chili powder
1tsp garlic powder
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg
1/2 sleeve Saltine crackers - crushed
1/4C milk

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Topping:
6 strips of bacon (I pre-cooked mine in the microwave for 3 minutes)
1C ketchup
1/4C mustard
1T Worcestershire
1T brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325*. Line a loaf pan with foil. Place half of the meat mixture in the pan and press down and up the sides creating a well in the middle. Add your mac'n'cheese to well. I didn't use all of it. I snacked on what was left. Some people drink wine while they cook, I eat cheese covered pasta. Place the rest of the meat mixture on top, sealing the sides.
Line a sheet pan with foil. Place the sheet pan on top of the loaf pan, flip over, transferring the meatloaf to the sheet pan. Discard foil from loaf pan. Perfect the form of your loaf and make sure the sides are sealed well so no noodles escape!
Place the bacon on top and tuck the ends under the loaf. I did a basket weave. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

Mix together the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire and brown sugar. Remove the meatloaf from the oven. Pour sauce over top. Turn oven to *375 and bake for 15-20 more minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and meatloaf is cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Pin It 1

No comments: