Monday, October 17, 2011

Caramelized Pork Slices & Elegant Scalloped Potatoes

Once again the hubs had to go out of town for work. The night before he leaves I always like to make a "nice" supper. This was a hit!!! And holy moly was the pork good - and neither of us are huge pork fans. At first I was scared - it didn't look like it was going to come together...it wasn't getting "caramelized" and definitely didn't look pretty! But I cranked the heat and walked away. I came back to perfection! So good!!! The chopped garlic almost gets candied...I could have just ate that!!! The pork would be great served over rice too. And you could easily sub chicken for the pork.

The scalloped potatoes were well scalloped potatoes. I don't know why I make them, I don't ever like them, but that's just my personal taste!  LOL! But they are good and my 2 year old ate them. That's saying a lot!




Caramelized Pork Slices

1lb pork tenderloin - cut into 1in thick slices
2tsp canola oil (I used vegetable)
2 garlic cloves - minced (I used 4, garlic is my fave!)
2T brown sugar
1T orange juice
1T dark molasses (I used dark Karo syrup)

In a nonstick skillet, brown pork in oil over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm.
In the same skillet, saute the garlic for 1 minute, stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, and molasses. Return pork to the pan. Cook, uncovered until pork is cooked through. *I cranked the heat at this step. Get the sauce bubbling so it becomes all ooey and gooey! Turn the pork occasionally. I'm guessing it took probably 10-15 minutes for the pork to finish cooking.*


Elegant Scalloped Potatoes

8 large baking potatoes
6T butter
6T flour
1tsp garlic powder
3 1/2C milk
12oz Velveeta - cubed
6 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
1C shredded cheddar

Scrub the potatoes. Microwave them until tender. Cool. In a saucepan melt the butter. Stir in the flour and garlic powder. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, cook until thickened. Add the Velveeta and bacon. Stir until melted. Remove from heat. Cut potatoes into 1/4in slices. Place 1/3 of the potatoes in a greased baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with cheddar. Bake uncovered at 350* for 15 minutes or until heated through. Pin It 1

No comments: